Jefferson is the largest of 16 colleges forming the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. It has six campuses, three in Jefferson County, and one each in Carrollton, Shelby County and Bullitt County. It also offers programs at five Kentucky correctional facilities. Courses also are offered in Oldham County and over the Internet.
Jefferson was created by the consolidation of Jefferson Community College and Jefferson Technical College on July 1, 2005. The colleges merged following the formation of KCTCS in 1997. KCTCS was created by the passage of the historic House Bill1, also known as the Kentucky Higher Education Reform Act, which transferred the community colleges from the University of Kentucky and the technical colleges from the state and consolidated their oversight in the new system.
Jefferson Technical College traces its roots to Aug. 1, 1953, and the formation of the Jefferson County State Vocational-Technical School, operated by the Jefferson County Board of Education. In 1962, the school moved under the state Board of Education, and in 1964 it moved to a new building in Jeffersontown. In 1997, the school moved to its current location at located at 8th and Chestnut in Downtown Louisville. Then in 1990 it became the Kentucky TECH Jefferson Campus, under the control of the Workforce Development Cabinet.
Finally in 1997, with the creation of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System, it became Jefferson Technical College. In the 2005 consolidation, the technical college became Jefferson Technical Campus.
The college offers more than 70 programs of study and 300 degree, diploma and certificate options. Jefferson also has an extensive workforce program that provides customized development and training programs for several hundred companies and nearly 5,000 employees each year.