Types of Aid

Types of Awards offered:

State and federal governments provide a number of options:

  • Grants, scholarships, and waivers that do not have to be repaid
  • Loans, which must be repaid with interest
  • The federal work-study program, which provides part-time employment that can also help you pay for college

What kinds of grants are available?

How do student loans work?

  • The Federal Stafford Loan Program lends money to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students attending on at least a part-time basis.
  • Two types of loans are available:
  • Subsidized Stafford Loan, which is based on financial need. The government will pay a portion of the interest you accumulate on this loan, and you repay the balance.
  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, which does not require students to demonstrate financial need. Students must repay this loan in its entirety, including interest.

How do I apply for grants, loans and work?

  • Apply for a federal PIN. Use your PIN to access your personal records and electronically sign federal student aid documents.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • File online or get a paper version from our Office of Financial Aid or your high school counselor.
  • Watch your e-mail/mail for your financial award notification.
  • Contact us, if you need more help.